Wednesday, July 3, 2013

July Book Haul

     It's that time of month again: BOOK HAUL! I'm very excited about this book haul because I went with all classics. I was inspired by the Rory Gilmore book list so I got some books from there that I was really interested in. Best part of this haul? Five books for 25 dollars! Guys, I don't think I've ever bought five books for twenty-five dollars. I love used book stores. So let's get to the haul:



1. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain: I remember my parents reading this book to me when I was little, though I'm a bit sketchy on the details. I'm excited to read this. This book is about a young boy named Huck Finn who runs away with an escaped slave to the Mississippi. It covers themes such as racism, war, and freedom.

2. Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl: Like the majority of people I had to read this book when I was in middle school and once in high school (I think), but I really liked it so it's going to be fun to re read it.The story of Anne Frank is one I'm sure we have all heard at some point of our lives. She and her family spent two years hiding from Nazis in a secret annex in Amsterdam. This diary documents her going through the fear of being caught, going hungry, and being a teenager in this situation.

3. The Jungle by Upton Sinclair: I've been hearing about this book since my AP U.S. History class and I've always wanted to read it, but just never got around to it. It's about an immigrant family that moves to Chicago in the early 20th century, The book follows their struggles, the horrifying conditions for workers in the meat packing industry and the filth and contamination in American Food.

4. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne: It's a classic, need I say more? I've always been very interested in Jules Verne and I've been meaning to buy this book specifically. It's about a professor that joins a mission to hunt down a sea monster and ends up being the captive of Nemo, the captain of the submarine that they're in.

5. The Portable James Joyce by James Joyce: I originally only wanted one James Joyce book (Ulysses) but when I saw this I couldn't just leave it. It's a compilation of a lot of Joyce's famous works. It has short stories, poems, and even full books. I'm really looking forward to this book.

     I'm so excited to be able to read these in the future! I'm working on a few other books now (be on the lookout for that post soon) but there will be reviews later on about these books. Have you guys read any of these books? :)

1 comment: