Sunday, June 30, 2013

Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit by Daniel Quinn

   

Synopsis: A pessimistic man sees an ad: "TEACHER SEEKS PUPIL. Must have an earnest desire to save the world. Apply in person." He gets angry. He lost all notion of saving the world a long time ago. But he goes anyways. The last thing he expected to see was a giant gorilla behind a glass panel. Even less for said gorilla to talk to him. Enter Ishnael, a giant educated gorilla with a story all of his own. So begins the story of a man who becomes the student of a gorilla who wants to show him how exactly human's are destroying the world and what they can do to save it.

Review: I really liked this book. It was well thought out and made me question things such as, how much of what we believe in is actually true? Why do we belive that the world was made for us and solely us? I personally belive that a book is great if it challenges your way of thinking. If it pushes your boundaries and has logical and justified reasons for doing so then you know you have a great piece of literature. I like that Ishmael,  the gorilla, asks questions instead of answering them and just lecturing. At one point all I was thinking was " If all teachers were like Ishmael then I don't think we would have such a huge problem with lack of critical thinking skills. ". I also really liked the main character. Not because he understood every concept of the lesson right away, but because he reacted the way you expect someone whose entire perception of life is being challenged to react. He was confused and didn't understand certain points and sometimes he wasn't the brightest, but he worked through it and came up with his own conclusions. I also don't want to give out the sense that Ishmael was perfect and wise. Yes, he was extremely educated and knew many things, but he was also flawed and you see that as the book progresses.

Final Thoughts: I reccomend this book for anyone who wants to do a bit of thinking (everytime that Ishmael asked something I would stop reading and cone up with my own explanation before continuing). It's a book with a different concept and very out-of-the-box ideas, so keep an open mind and go on a journey with Ishmael.

If any of you guys have read this book let me know what your thoughts were :)

No comments:

Post a Comment