Wednesday, April 24, 2013

My Top 5 Books

     Hello everyone! I thought that I would tell you guys my top 5 books. How a book makes it into my list is simple: Does it make me think? Does it change or challenge my views? Does it leave an impression on me? If the answer to all of those is yes then it goes on my list. So now that you know why these books are on here, here are my books (the books are in no specific order) :

  1. We The Living by Ayn Rand: I read this book the summer of my last year in high school and I fell in love with it. It was one of those books that left me thinking "wow" when I finished it. Ayn Rand has very strong views on certain issues and I always like knowing different point of views so to read something that challenges the norm was great. Her books always give me a sense of empowerment and I end up with a renowned confidence in myself. 
  2. The History of Love by Nicole Krauss: This book was so beautiful in so many ways. The way this was written was just superb. It's the story of two people. Well, technically three. It gives the stories of these people at significant points in time so it's not in chronological order, which I love. It was one of those books that had me feeling every emotion that the characters experienced and I really connected with them.
  3. The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind: Sorry, I couldn't just choose one of the books. Basically i'm in love with this series. It took me three years to finish it, but it was so worth it. It's 11 books and one amazing adventure. I'm sure that you have all experienced what it feels like to never want a series to end, right? That's how I felt about this one. I was so heartbroken when I got to the last page. What the characters went through in this book was just... I don't even have a word for it. I formed such an emotional attachment with these characters that I felt like I was loosing a good friend at the end. The heroes in this series are so imperfect. They have so many flaws and make bad decisions. You felt like you could relate to them so well... you know, minus the whole magic aspect of it. Be warned, the books are very depressing. What these people go through, especially the main character is just so bad that you wonder how he still has the strength, mentally and emotionally, to go on with life. Even I was mentally exhausted by the end of the books. 
  4. The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell: Simply an amazing book. The array of characters in this book is great. The story line is amazing and the questions that it asks really make you think and evaluate what you know. If you're planning on reading this book just let me tell you that you will need tissues. 
  5. The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand: Yes, another Ayn Rand novel. She's one of my favorite authors and I haven't read a book by her that I haven't liked. I don't think that you need to agree with her political or religious views to enjoy her work. At least in my case, it doesn't bother me. I just really like the concept of the power of a single person. I also really like her style of writing. This book had me zooming through it. The story is so engrossing and the different point of views and situations of everyone living in the same society makes the book so enjoyable. But it did have scenes were I was just looking at the book and thinking "Am I reading this correctly?" Some scenes are definitely odd and disturbing, but it comes with the book and they're pivotal points so you can't ignore them.
Those are my top five books. If any of you guys have read any of them tell me what you thought of them in a comment. Also, let me know what your top five books are. Till next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment