Thursday, April 25, 2013

Favorite Literary Characters

     We all have that character in a book that we just love, right? Someone that inspires us or is just such a bad-ass character that you can't help but to love them. So I wanted to discuss some of my favorite characters with you guys.

1. Kahlan Amnell from the Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind: She's pretty much my favorite heroine ever. She is intelligent and capable. Yeah, I really dislike weak women. I know that people need help from time to time (both women and men), but when you can't take care of yourself at all and play the helpless victim that's where I have a problem. Especially in literature. I want a woman who'll be able to contribute and not hinder (i'm thinking of a few literary women who are nothing but nuisances). She is the daughter of a general (or a commander. I can never remember which) and was taught everything about the dynamics of war so she's a brilliant strategist and when it came tome for her to lead she did an amazing job. She's also reasonable and level headed and she'll do what's necessary. She is a queen through and through. She has her defects too, but they just add to her character.

2.  Richard Cypher from The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind: Guys, this man is pretty much my idea of what a perfect and non-perfect human being is. I know that's paradoxical, but that's how he is. He doesn't pretend to be the most amazing human being on the face of the literary planet, but he just is. He always tries to do the right thing and he's put in situations where sometimes what he thinks is right is not the correct thing to do. He literally went through hell and back. Honestly guys, I don't know how he did it. I think at one point in the series I started thinking of him in a god-like sense. Which, thinking about his character he would really dislike to be held in such high regard.

3. Marguerite from Four Sisters, All Queens by Sherry Jones: First of all this book shows just how much power women had in a time when men were the ones that ruled. It's a historical fiction that takes place in the time of Louis IX of France. Marguerite is his wife and she's brilliant. Her mother raised her to know just as much as men in the time so she knew all about politics and war. She was not perfect by any means. In fact she was greedy and often selfish even with her own family (are you guys seeing the pattern of my love for flawed heroes?). 

Those are just three of my favorite literary characters. They were the ones that left the biggest impression on me thus far. I'm sure that over the years the list will get longer and longer. So what literary characters make your list? Leave it in a comment, i'd love to know. Till next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment