Monday, April 22, 2013

Book Review: Vision in White (#1 in the Bride Quartet Series) by Nora Roberts

     Hello again! Ok, for my first book review I wanted to keep it light so the genre is Romance and I chose Vision in White by Nora Roberts. First of all, Nora Roberts is my favorite romance author. The first book that I ever read in this genre was by her. I cannot for the life of me remember what book it was, but I liked it enough to make Roberts my favorite romance author. That's why I'm so conflicted with this book.

     This is the story of Mackensie "Mac" Elliot, an amazing wedding photographer whose life gets complicated when sweet and shy English professor Carter Maguire, brother of one of the brides she's working with, comes into her life. She decides to give him a chance, but she wants to keep it casual. But the casual relationship turned into something she wasn't expecting, or wants, and drama ensues.
     That's pretty much the story line of most of Roberts stories. If the woman isn't the one that wants nothing to do with a relationship, or in this case keep it casual, then it's the man who feels that way. What varies in her stories are the circumstances and the issues each character has. Let's start off with the one negative that I found in this book: the language. I personally think that the language used was too "modernized". Roberts  had the women call each other "bitches" and "sluts" as terms of endearment and while I do understand that this happens now I don't like it for Robert's books. She's such a pure and wholesome writer that I was completely put off by the terms that she used. I also didn't like how short and abbreviated the conversations were. Again, I'm just used to a different style from her.
     Onto the good points. I loved the actual story. I love strong and independent women characters who don't wait around for a guy. I loved Carter's character. The sweet, intelligent, and somewhat clumsy English Professor is always good with me (we all have our preferences, right?). The interactions between Mac and Carter are adorable. The book is a fast read because the conversations are so fast paced. You can feel the energy coming from the characters and it transfers onto you making you zoom by the book. It's light and fun read. I'll more than likely read the other three books in the series.
     Guys, Carter Maguire deserves his own paragraph. I didn't emphasize enough how much I liked him. Usually the men in romance novels are big tough players who think they can have any girl they want. Not Carter. He's the complete opposite and it makes him such a likable character. He's no pushover though. He defends himself when he needs to and also tries to defend Mac. I love the fact that he tries to be rational and logical about everything. Everything except his love for Mac. Needless to say that I swooned with almost every word that he said. I'm almost afraid to read the other books in the series because I don't know if I'll like the other guys half as much as I liked Carter. Here's hoping.
     All in all I really liked this book. I thought that although the plot was repetitive and I knew how the ending was going to turn out, the small bits of background information that Roberts added to the characters really changed it up from the previous books I've read from her. Like I said, the only thing I didn't like was the use of language, the way that this one was "modernized" was off putting. I recommend it for anyone that's a fan of Nora Roberts and is looking for a fast romantic read.

2 comments: