Monday, May 6, 2013

Monday Rambles: My Love/Hate Relationship With Stephen King

     Stephen King is one of those authors that is an acquired taste. I remember reading two books by him and I hated the first one but loved the second one. It's because of that second one that I want to read more books by him, but it's because of the first one that I don't really want to.
     Let me tell you about the first book that I read by him. It was Dreamcatcher and I couldn't read past the first 20 pages. I was just so shocked and put off by the foul and I mean FOUL language that he used. It was so crude and every other sentence had at least two curse words. I distinctly remember one phrase "Same Shit Different Day." I'm not a prick when it comes to using curse words, but when almost every line involves cursing that's where I draw the line. I just couldn't get past it so I stopped and never picked it up again.
     Now the second book I read was On Writting: A Memoir of the Craft. I loved it. I couldn't put it down. I thought it was insightful and very well written. So I'm here reading this book and all I'm thinking is "Why wasn't Dreamcatcher like this?" I meant that in the sense of the language. The difference was just startling. So years later I start thinking about Stepehen King books again and I think "Maybe I should give them a shot again. I understand that he writes that way... and I would hate to miss out on his books just because of his language... I need to get past that.
     Is there an author that you guys have a love/hate relationship with? If so, who and why? I can't be the only one. Till next time :)
   

3 comments:

  1. I do have love/hate relationship with Deb Caletti and Chetan Bhagat.
    I really loved Stay by Deb caletti.Check out my review for that book in my blog. http://inisravishingreads.blogspot.com/2013/05/stay-by-deb-caletti.html
    I read Queen of everything by Deb Caletti. I just hated it totally.

    When it comes to Chetan Bhagat, I loved his first book Five point someone. But gradually his writing style was going down and when i read The two states i wanted to throw away the book and I assured myself not to pick up his works anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your review of the book and loved it. It's definitely going on my to be read list.

      It's disappointing to read a great book then read another that has so much less quality. Have you read any other books by Deb Caletti?

      Delete
    2. Thanks Laura.. I have other works of Deb Caletti- Honey baby sweetheart, The six rules of maybe. They are on my TBR pile. I heard nothing but raving comments about these books. :)

      Delete